The Monthly Memo Archive
The Monthly Memo
February 1, 2000
Please visit our web page. The site address is: heab.state.wi.us
Points of Interest:
- There have been a number of schools who have been sending file maintenance for students
who are not enrolled at their school. Therefore, new awards keep recalculating based on file
maintenance sent in by the school where the student is not attending. The school where the
student is attending has to keep sending file maintenance to correct what the other school
has sent. To eliminate this problem, please only send file maintenance for students who you know are
attending or plan to attend your school.
- Even though next year's student records are beginning to arrive, please do not sending
file maintenance, etc., for next year yet. Our targeted start up for 00-01 is April, 2000.
- Based on additional information from the Federal Department of Education, TIP grants must
be considered Title IV funds in the "return of funds" calculation.
- Just a reminder that TIP funds for first time recipients need to be spent by the end of
February. John Whitt will be contacting schools in mid-February to verify that all funds will be
spent. Unspent funds will be redistributed after the end of February.
- Once again, HEAB is holding one-day on location training programs for new and continuing
financial aid admistrators. The training session covers all aspects of the programs administered by
How To Voucher
How To Do File Maintenance
An Overview of the Individual HEAB Programs
A Review of HEAB Reports
The program is being offered:
May 18, 2000
July 20, 2000
September 21, 2000
(The March workshop is already full.)
The program begins at 10:00 a.m. and ends no later than 3:00 p.m. It is held at the HEAB offices
at 131 W. Wilson St, Suite 902, Madison, WI. We have room for up to 6 people at each session.
If you want to register for a session or need more information, please call Jim Buske at (608)
267-9865 or send email to email@example.com.
Points Related to Processing:
- 1999-2000 notification lists and other associated reports are scheduled to print 2/1/00,
2/15/00, and 2/29/00.
Here are a few tips for bringing in your electronic Notification Files:
- set all margins to 0.25"
- set paper orientation to landscape
- set font to Courier (or Lucida Console if you have it)
- set point size to 9
Also, if you encounter problems opening the file directly from email, try saving it to your
server or hard drive using either Notepad or WordPad to open it. If this doesn't work, please give
Barb Moermond a call at (608) 266-3091 and she will work with you to try to find a solution.
- We continue to run the 1999-2000 vouchering process on Tuesday and Friday
nights of each week. Just a reminder that we cannot guarantee that your request can be loaded on
the same day it has been received if the information arrives after 12NOON. Please keep in
mind that it takes two to three business days after the vouchering process runs before checks are
physically printed. So please plan accordingly. Please only voucher funds for students who are
registered for coursework. Contact me if you have any questions.
- If your school transfers data to HEAB via an FTP site, please notify Barb Moermond at
firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as
possible whenever any changes in your FTP set-up, software, IP, etc. occur. Once notified, Barb will
make all the necessary changes that need to be made at our end in order for HEAB to continue to be
able to transfer data to and from your school.
- Please be aware that if you request a disbursement of less than $250 for a term or a
semester or if the student has used nine semesters of eligibility, the voucher request is manually
handled through a "special voucher" which is run on Wednesday nights.
- Also be aware that you cannot voucher funds for a student you just sent FAFSA changes
for to the federal processor. Please voucher funds for students after they are reflected on the
notification list. Our agency will calculate an award the Tuesday or Friday night after file
maintenance is received or after the student is loaded from the federal record (which we draw down
daily). However, the notification list which communicates the student award to you is run every
other Tuesday. Please keep all of this in mind when you are making student record changes or
vouchering funds. Please also keep in mind that we calculate awards on the most recent information
that is received either through file maintenance or from the federal processor.
- Just another reminder that students can receive up to ten semesters of a combination of
WHEG/WTG rather than ten semesters of each.
- 1999-2000 award commit for WHEG and WTG is as follows:
|UW WHEG Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 128.21%)
|UW WHEG Award Spent
||(last year at this time it was 88.30%)
|WTC WHEG Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 157.10%)
|WTC WHEG Award Spent
||(last year at this time it was 85.70%)
|WTG Award Commit
||(last year at this time it was 115.01%)
|WTG Award Spent
||(last year at this time it was 76.70%)
I appreciate your feedback and thoughts! My phone number is 608.264.6181, FAX:
email@example.com and SNAILMAIL: HEAB, P.O. Box 7885, Madison, WI
Jane Hojan-Clark, Executive Secretary
Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board
The Monthly Memo Archive
HEAB Main Page
Financial Aid Programs
Financial Aid Application Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Information for Financial Aid Administrators